Thursday, July 21, 2011

Yogurt, simplified

I can't believe I've been so naive about yogurt my whole life. I have learned about the food pyramid in school when teachers tell you to eat more dairy products. I have heard that yogurt is a healthy choice. But have you ever looked at all those delicious flavors, stacked row-upon-row and wondered how Key Lime Pie Yoplait could possibly be good for you? 

My advice to you: Not all yogurts should be treated the same

What should you look for in yogurt:
1. Live active cultures (for whatever reason, that phrase kind of makes me gag). 
2. You want a variety of cultures (I mean, seriously, you're like eating bacteria--but it's an important factor).
3. As little sugar as possible!!! Label laws don't differentiate between added and natural-occurring sugars. Lactose in milk and yogurt is a sugar, so these products are bound to contain naturally-occurring sugars.

Now, remember this number: 11g

In a 6 oz cup of plain yogurt, there are 11g of natural-occurring milk sugars.* So next time you pick up that savory, creamy strawberry banana yogurt, check the nutritional label, and minus 11g from the sugar count and realize that's how much added sugar you are unnecessarily adding to your body.


Did you know?

The bacterial cultures in yogurt have been shown to stimulate infection-fighting white cells in the bloodstream. They can also help replenish the intestines with helpful bacteria before harmful ones take over.

*Stewart, Kimberly. Eating Between the Lines. Pg 139-140.
http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/family-nutrition/yogurt/10-reasons-yogurt-top-health-food

1 comment:

  1. I totally hear you on this one. I was also a Yoplait fan. Then a few months ago I started buying Trader Joe's vanilla yogurt by the quart. Eventually I switched to plain - which I usually eat with some combo of berries, granola, and honey.

    Then I forgot my lunch one day and picked up a yoplait yogurt at Walgreens. I could barely eat it. It was sooooo sweet! I turned the container around and saw that the second ingredient is HCFS!! Yuck.

    Have you tried making your own? It's not hard - though it can be time consuming. http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2009/10/how-to-make-homemade-yogurt-2/

    ReplyDelete